If you are moving, you need the right mover. However, many companies might try to get your business, but they may not be the best option for your move. Meanwhile, furniture removal scams are on the rise in Melbourne, with victims often losing thousands of dollars. So, here are some essential stats to keep in mind:
- In 2016, there were 604 reported scams of furniture removals in Melbourne. That’s an increase of almost 50% from the previous year.
- The average loss per victim in the scams of furniture removals in Melbourne is $4,000.
What Are the Top Scams of Furniture Removals?
- They fake damage to furniture to get a higher price: If the furniture is damaged, the mover may insist on adding an extra fee for damages. This can indeed add up quickly if you have a lot of furniture.
- They may charge an excessive amount for packing and transporting your furniture: Meanwhile, a good moving company will charge between $50 and $100 per box, depending on the size and weight of the furniture.
- They may charge for services that were not provided: Many times, movers will claim they will move your furniture for free but then will tack on additional fees for things like packing materials or special equipment needed to move your furniture. So, make sure you carefully read any contract or agreement before signing it to avoid surprises down the road.
Seven Ways to Spot a Scam
- Beware of unsolicited offers or contracts. If you don’t know the person, don’t sign anything.
- Be wary of anyone asking for money before doing any work.
- Make sure the company has a valid license and is registered with the state.
- Don’t pay until you’ve checked out the equipment and met with the contractor in person.
- Never give out your sensitive personal information, such as your Social Security number, credit card number, or bank account information.
- Ask for a receipt for any work done and scrutinise it for accuracy before signing anything.
- If something seems too good to be true, it most probably is.
Other Tips and Tricks to Ensure You Are Not Scammed
- Always meet in a public place; this will help protect you from scammers who may try to lure you into a meeting in an isolated location.
- Avoid sending money or expensive items to someone you have never met.
- If you are unable to meet the person in person, avoid exchanging money or goods. Immediately report any suspicious activity to your local law enforcement agency.
- Avoid giving out personal information such as your Social Security number or bank account number.
- Be wary of unsolicited emails and phone calls asking for financial assistance or services that cannot be delivered in the real world.
What to Do If You Get Scammed?
If you are currently a victim of a scam, you can take steps to protect yourself. And here are some tips:
- Stay alert and aware of your surroundings. Scammers love to prey on unsuspecting people, so be looking for suspicious behaviour.
- Avoid falling for schemes that promise quick money or gifts.
- Report any scams you encounter to the authorities. They will be able to help track down the perpetrators and provide you with relief and support.
Movers are essential in moving your belongings, whether it is a one-time move or an ongoing move. And there are many types of movers, each with its strengths and weaknesses. As such, it is essential to do your research before deciding, and you may consult with a professional if you have any doubts about the move.
Isaidub has become popular for publishing dubbed Tamil, Hindi, and English movies. You can choose from movies that are released in the year you want to watch.